Request advice regarding alternative body and telephoto lens combination (long post)

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AL904
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Request advice regarding alternative body and telephoto lens combination (long post)
Oct 24, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to read through my long post, and I thank you in advance for your help.
Which would be a better alternative? Is there another choice that would make more sense? I am completely open to suggestions.
I am now considering a Nikon APSC alternative. It looks like I can get a D7000 and a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR (105-450mm FFE) for about $1400 after discounts.
I have considered upgrading to an Olympus 100-400 FFE lens (Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5) that is reported to have much better performance. That lens runs about $1200.
Recently, early one morning in the mountains, I missed several opportunities to photograph deer and wild birds . It was about ninety minutes after sunrise, but the animals were in deep shade. My Olympus could never lock in its focus or exposure on the wildlife resulting in shots that were unusable.
I also have several Olympus E-series (Four-thirds) cameras with various specialty lenses including a fisheye and an 18-36mm full-frame equivalent (FFE) for those extremely wide shots. I also have an Olympus 140-600mm FFE lens. When out on a shoot, for quick wildlife opportunities, I carry an Olympus body with the 140-600mm mounted and the camera set to Shutter priority and spot focus/metering.
Currently my main camera/lens combo is a Nikon D700 with a 24-120mm f/4G ED VR AF-S. I am extremely pleased with that kit. My primary objective is outdoor photography, shooting travel, architecture, landscape, and occasional wildlife pictures. 

[I try not to cross post. However, when I posted this on another website, I didn't get any responses. Perhaps it is too long and involved.]

-- hide signature --

AL in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, USA

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow