How to make a great little camera out of the WX70

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
zhir
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: How to make a great little camera out of the WX70
In reply to Kazantsakis, Oct 24, 2012

Kazantsakis wrote:

Very interesting take - thanks.  But perhaps you could explain what appears to be a contradiction.  Isn't the additional effective zoom available in 5 MP mode because only part of the sensor is used (pre-additional zoom) to generate the 5 MP image?  But if that's the case, I don't see how extra sensor pixels are available for oversampling and improving the image quality (i.e., additional light gathering).  It seems to me that otherwise unused sensor pixels might be used either for additional zooming or for image quality improvement, but not both.   What am I missing?

-- hide signature --

Nico

There is no cropping at 4:3 5MP mode, as long as you don't go beyond 5x zoom (the maximum real optical zoom). Beyond that point, cropping starts and quality slowly goes down, since you have less than 16MP to downsize to 5MP. So naturally you get less and less oversampling as you push zoom forward, but there is still enough oversampling to maintain 5MP quality at 7x or 8x.

It's just good to know that you can safely go a bit beyond 5x zoom and still get nice results at 5MP (my old Sony TX5 didn't offer that). Don't push it too far however, or you will be disappointed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow