Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
Photos from The Huntington, San Marino, California
Oct 24, 2012

The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens was founded in 1919 by a wealthy Southern California businessman. It's quite a place.

All photos taken with my A77. Indoor photos all used MFNR and the 16-50 f2.8. Outdoor photos used the 16-50 f2.8 or the 70-300G.

Gutenberg Bible. This is the first time I've seen one.

The book collection is astonishing. This is Newton's own copy of Principia (believe me, this is a big deal).

"Beautiful Science" is a permanent exhibit, this is the section on Medicine. My first thought was "That poor guy."

In the same exhibit (Light section) they had several very old light bulbs running at very low power. I took a few of the glowing filaments.

Under a Tree.

I was struck by the vignetting and symmetric shadows in this scene. Like so many others, this museum/gallery/library favors those small spotlights which provide harsh shadows.

Perseus Arming. Instead of rescuing/kidnapping some damsel or fighting a monster this artist chose to depict Perseus checking his sandals to make sure he tied them right (that's what the sign said). To me, it looks like his checking the bottom of his sandals for something he might have stepped in.

Cool clock with the geometric shapes.

Fabulous detail here. View it full-sized.

Life-like

Audubon's Birds of America (aka Double Elephant Folio after the size of the paper) is one of the largest sized books ever published.

Great Blue Heron from Birds of America

Frank Lloyd Wright dining set.

Lunchtime at The Huntington

In the Children's Garden they have these cool "Bubble Fountains" for the kids to play with.

A slight breeze disrupts the bubble.

Water Lily in a fountain.

Smile for the 10-second timer!

I only got to see about a third of what I wanted to see. Luckily my daughter's boyfriend can get me in for free so it's not much trouble to go back.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +21 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow