Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,192Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D F8 autofocus
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Oct 24, 2012

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

OhioBob wrote:

I see that canon released frimware for the EOS-1D X to allow autofocus with apertures of F8. Is it possible for them to do the same with the 7D or is there something physically different about the sensors that it would not allow this?

There are some very decisive differences between the two AF modules. The most important one is the positioning and separation capability of the beam splitters which reside above the AF sensor itself. And then there is the AF sensor itself, the 1Dx has an area type sensor - which means that the developers of the new firmware had probably some leeway to reduce the size of the detection area for the central AF sensors - which would get a half decent signal even with an widest aperture of f/8.

So if the 1DX and 5DIII can AF at f/8, and the 7D cannot, would that suggest that the 7D's AF is not as capable as either of those cameras? It's a really long wait for Canon to replace the 7D with a better designed AF in line with the 5DIII and 1DX.

Every occasion that I successfully produce a few good keepers, I pause and wonder how many more keepers there would have been using a newer camera body with a faster and more accurate AF.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow