RAW vs DNG files?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Herb
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
NAS-Network Accessible Storage
In reply to chironNYC, Oct 24, 2012

I was looking for more storage at my house and stumbled into this setup by Synology.

i did some review searches as there are a couple of different manufacturers.  I figured that it was a $200 experiment.  Here is where I got mine....

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B005YW7OLM

i had to buy two hard drives (the unit takes up to 2 drives, max 3TB each).  I had read someplace that the 3TB drives might be failure prone, no facts just seemed an opinion I developed after reading several reviews.

the Synology unit come with software that works very well.  I first hooked it up for my home intranet.  But ten I kept reading about the fact that you could get your own URL (mine costs about $40year, but t is possible to get one for free, I wanted to make it as easy as possible because I really didn't know what I was doing).

you end up with a network addressable storage system that you can save photos on as well as music or even videos.    if you load photos as it was designed it would take a month to get them to load, but they developed a piece of software that makes the entire process faster.  It still takes time, I would let it run over night.

i like it because ALL 68,000 photos I have taken are there and I can get to them from anywhere there is an Internet connection.

do a google search for NAS, you will find different manufacturers.  Small businesses use this for file sharing.  The more expensive unit you buy, the better the processor in the unit (=faster).

there is also a Synology users forum.

does that help?  It is like your own private "cloud"

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

Herb's gear list:Herb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow