Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 (by Alex White)

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick Evertsz
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 (by Alex White)
Oct 24, 2012

I responded to Alex's request for people on this forum to proof the draft of his new book. Other than that, I don't know the guy, and he hasn't asked me to promote his book.

The book is very comprehensive and I couldn't find anything lacking. At around 350 pages, it's well worth the $10 price, in my opinion. I haven't read Gary Friedman's RX100 book, so can't compare the two. I've bought Gary's KM5D, A700 and NEX books in the past. The style is very different to Alex's, and given the overlap in content between Gary's books, I'd guess that Gary's RX100 book is like his previous ones. Alex's book is very focused on the technical aspects of the RX100 and how to use it. Gary's books typically have more on general photography. So, if you can afford it and want to learn about the RX100 quickly, it's probably worth getting both. Maybe someone who has actually read Gary's book can comment on this!

Anyway, I felt like promoting Alex's book here because I think's it's a steal at $10. The end of the book deals with using the RX100 for low-light photography, astrophotography and more. The appendices are chock full of interesting info on accessories and wirelessly triggering flash. I learnt a lot from those last few chapters, even though I thought I knew the RX100 inside out.

Hope this is useful to anyone wanting to learn the ins and outs of the RX100 quickly. I did a quick Google search for the book. You can get it here:

http://whiteknightpress.com/wordpress/photographers-guide-to-the-sony-dsc-rx100/

Rick Evertsz's gear list:Rick Evertsz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4
Pentax K-m (K2000) Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow