Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
D700 is terrific, but still trying to figure it out. Need Help!
In reply to Rumi Siddiqui, Oct 24, 2012

I got my D700, and I'm extremely pleased with the results. No regrets whatsoever; however, there are a few annoyances, and OMG, the 70-200mm is huuuuuuuuuuuge. I'm not kidding when I say my puny wrist is sore. I may have to go to the gym, just to use this lens. I WILL be buying another smaller lens. Anyway, on to the annoyances, or rather my lack of knowledge of the Nikon system. I attempted to read through the manual, briefly - but still find myself confused.

1. On the 5D Mark II, it was setup to where I could quickly pick up the camera, turn it on, point it toward my subject, and the camera would automatically choose the autofocus points to where it thinks it should focus, by simply pushing the shutter half way. If it didn't choose the correct point, I could quickly move the joystick with my thumb, and maneuver to the correct point, from the incorrectly selected one. Please tell me there's a way to do this with the D700. So far, it will automatically pick focus point in automode, but it won't let me manually select a point, if it gets it wrong. In the other two autofocus modes, it won't automatically pic a point, it will start off by making me manually select the point to focus on.

2. Is there a way to always keep the LCD on, showing my shutter/ISO/settings? The screen keeps shutting off. I like having the LCD on all the time, where it shows my current camera settings. I keep having to hit the info button. The second I take a pic it disappears, until I hit the info button again.

3. On the 70-200mm lens, what is Active/Normal mode? And there's A/M, M/A, M? What the heck?

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm continue to look it up on line, and further read through the manual, but I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow