Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326
Like?
Dragging the E-400 out of retirement
Oct 23, 2012

Following another afternoon fighting with the E-P3 I decided to drag my E-400 out of retirement, just to see how it compares.  The E-400 and the E-P3 are actually much closer in size than people might imagine. About the same width, but the E-400 is a bit deeper. As far as handling goes, it's no contest - E-400, game, set & match. The much maligned OVF is actually heaven compared with the EVF-2 (which i rate highly), for composition and focusing. Obviously the EVF has other advantages. But of course the technology in the E-400 is much older. Anyway, I put to Zuiko 50mm on it, and took it out to see if the legendary Kodak sensor could deliver-

Well, I enjoyed using it (I've written more here ), but it will be going back to it's warm cosy spot on the shelf. Nostalgia is all well and good, but the reality check of simultaneous clipped shadows & highlights in lighting that the E-P3 (and E-5) would laugh at, the very hard to see info in the finder, the lack of IS, and various other things are a bit limiting these days. And although the simplicity of the menus is initially refreshing, remembering how useless the Fn button was isn't!

Anyway, for old times sake, here's a few E-400 photos taken yesterday. All with the 50mm f/2, and processed from RAW in Iridient RAW Developer.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

Olympus E-400 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow