24-120mm f4 VR or 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR?

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Re: 24-120mm f4 VR or 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR?
In reply to Shotcents, Oct 23, 2012

Shotcents wrote:

IMHO the 24-120 VR F4 is the worst value lens currently made by Nikon. It's an "okay" hunk of glass priced at a point where much better choices become available.... "who's buying these for 1300 bucks?"

Well, I did last week... I am a professional wedding photographer and had a chance to shoot a wedding in NY this past Saturday with 24-120 because my 24-70 is being repaired in Melville... Very good pro level lens... Yes, I don't like the fact that it extends while zooming and sometimes was missing 2.8, but IQ is excellent and AF speed is great... I will keep it as my backup lens... Well, 24-70 will probably be my backup for weddings unless I absolutely in need of F2.8...

BTW: I do have top 2.8 zooms and 1.4G primes that I use for paid work on my D3s bodies, but I see this lens glued from now on to my D800 between weekends...

Just walked with it this morning through our local lakes... Love the lens! It is sharp and versatile...

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Nikon D600 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow