Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
For the love of zoom
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
SX50hs f6.5 - what's the problem?
Oct 23, 2012

Now I know the benefits of a faster lens, but I think some people, including reviewers, are making too much fuss about f6.5 being slow suggesting it's massively slower than other superzooms, when it really isn't (except the FZ200 of course).  It's slightly less than half a stop slower than f5.6 and more like just a third slower than the SX40hs at f5.8.  So while the SX40hs is not that fast it's maximum aperture does not cause too much dismay.  Considering what seems to be slightly better ISO performance and optical image stabalisation in the SX50hs it probably makes up to a large extent for that 1/3 to 1/2 stop slower lens.

I know with greater focal length you need higher shutter speed and so that extra 1/3 to 1/2 would be very welcome.  But hey having a 1200mm equ. lens on a superzoom is amazing (no need for extra teleconverters etc.) and there's always tripods, places to support yourself and simply times when the sunlight's in your favour and the f6.5 is ample even at lower ISO's.

I was initially put off the SX50hs because of all the comments about the slow lens, but when you look at the numbers and the reality of it, sure a constant f2.8 would be fantastic, but if you like zoom then a usable 1200mm is pretty fantastic too.

For your amusement, this is the rig I have to use with the SX10is if I wish to get just 840mm equ.

Stacking another lens with it as I've done below with the s3is, but putting it on the SX10is rig above does give me 1260mm, but it's pretty unweildy and the IS has no effect.  So the SX50hs with 1200mm and 4.5 stops of IS and only 1/2 stop slower than SX10is seems pretty great! (though I would love to try the FZ200 out with these teleconverters!).  I hope that's put some perspective on the lens and what Canon's achieved.

2.25x teleconverter on s3is giving 972mm equiv, same lens on SX10is gives 1260mm equiv.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow