SEL35F18 or a bunch of manual lenses+adapter; which to buy?

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BlitzAction
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
SEL35F18 or a bunch of manual lenses+adapter; which to buy?
Oct 23, 2012

Before I catch the angry "you should have searched" comments, I had looked, but it seemed like those looking to get an adapter / manual lenses already had their collection of lenses from a past brand.

Hello all. I recently picked up (for the second time) a NEX-5N with the 18-55mm kit lens. This is my first non P&S and overall am quite happy with it. I have taken around 1000 shots so far and now am looking into possibly getting some new lenses. Since I have no brand loyalty and would be starting a lens collection from scratch, I am a little clueless into what I should be picking up. I dont really shoot anything in particular, usually landscapes, around town/travel, portraits, and quite a bit of evenings on the town (low-light). I typically leave the focus mode in DMF so I am comfortable with focusing manually. If shooting outside, I sometimes bring a tripod with.

My question is: Would I be better off picking a lens made for the E-Mount (like the 35mm 1.8) for my walk around lens, or would it be more intelligent to put the money toward an adapter and several manual lenses?

For those who say the manual/adapter route, do you have a suggestion on a specific adapter and set of lenses? Are there "must have" sizes?

Thanks in advance, I do appreciate it and sure you get questions similar to this quite often on such a great camera line.

ANSWER:
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow