Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Interesting Canon comment on "dye" fade resistance
In reply to Mark McCormick, Oct 23, 2012

Mark McCormick wrote:

detectorman wrote:

SeeĀ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_plot -- you may want to google "Arrhenius plot" for some more examples.

Yes, the Arrhenius equation and various methods for implementing it in the evaluation of the thermal stability of photographic prints have been used for decades.  I've helped more than one researcher and even one well known testing laboratory implement this type of testing. .....However, Arrhenius tests are not appropriate for evaluating gas fade resistance, light fade resistance, humidity resistance, etc., all of which conspire over time along with thermally induced aging to degrade image quality.

kind regards,

Mark

_____

Mark,

Could not at least light-fading resistance be tested using the Arrhenius method using various light fluxes. Some amount of heating from sunlight may be involved also. And humidity also--we used to test integrated circuits at 90 degrees C and 90% relative humidity.

In any case, it would be nice to see the data behind claims of 300 year life! I have a Canon dye printer (9000 mkII) but can't wait to check the claim posted in this topic--I'll be 70 soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow