ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Bored again ...
Oct 23, 2012

So lets have some fun:-)

There has not been clear night sky for over 2 weeks here, and I'm going nuts. So today I decided to do a very unfair test, but with a real world use for astro photo.

The challenge I gave myself was this: The nominal angle of view for FZ200 is 108mm at tele end. Common sense tells us that a 300mm or 400mm on a 5D II should be 3-4x better in resolution terms. You would have to crank up the ISO, but then again the extra details should still be there in all its glory. So I set up a test, using

Panasonic FZ200 at 108mm f.2.8 ISO 800

Pentax 300mm f.4.0 ISO 1600, Canon 5D II

Leica Telyt 400mm f.6.8 ISO 3200 Canon 5D II

This is how I have used them for my astro shooting. And yes, the lenses are old, but the Leica Telyt was so sharp in the centre that I sold my Canon 400mm L 5.6. The Leica was faster to focus, sharper and mor contrasty. No competition. And of course the field is much larger on the Canon, but as I said, this is an unfair comparison, with a very real world application ... to myself at least ...

Over to the fun part!

The picture is a collage of thre different set-ups, at different % to make them aproximately of the same size. Guess which picture is taken with FZ200:-D

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow