Mix and match problem...70-200L I 2.8 is great with 5DIII but serious front focus with 7D

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkf11610
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Mix and match problem...70-200L I 2.8 is great with 5DIII but serious front focus with 7D
Oct 23, 2012

I own a 7D which I love dearly....I get great results with the 15-85 EFS and 70-300L (borrowed). But, for Friday night football with poor High School lighting (the school is in a residential neighborhood and needs to comply with light spill over rules) I have to crank it up to ISO 4000 to keep a decent shutter speed (1/800). Still I get results I am happy with most of the time.

I was recently able to borrow a 5DIII and 70-200 2.8L IS (Mark 1) and I am thrilled with the results even at ISO 6400 (see below). Last Saturday I did a mix and match using the 70-200 lens on my 7D in late afternoon cloudy weather at a Pop Warner football game. Almost every shot suffered from severe front focussing. The same lens that performed so well on the 5DIII and the same camera that worked so well with the 70-300. Something about this combination just isn't working.

Is this a known issue...perhaps I was distracted and had a setting or something else wrong....is it just one of those things? Is it due to the indifferent lighting?

Don't get me wrong...you couldn't pry the 7D out of my hands for anything less than a 5DIII or newer 1D. I'm just trying to understand what went wrong last Saturday.

Thank you in advance,

John

5DIII with 70-200

7D with same lens the next day...

7D with 70-300L under poor lighting..

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow