Nikon 24-120VR F4 vs 28-300VR...

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24-120VR F4 vs 28-300VR...
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Oct 23, 2012

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Interesting to see encouraging words about the 24-120 f4 VR. The argument sways back and forth over this one. I am only wary of it because of reports on its distortion as on photozone distortion test

I just shot a wedding (past Saturday) for the first time with this lens... My usual midrange zoom is 24-70, but since it is still in repair - I had to use this lens... Well - I am stunned by clarity and sharpness of this piece of glass wide open! Especially after I loaded all files into Lightroom and looked at them at 100%... To me - somehow it looks sharper then my 24-70!!! Yes, I was missing 1 stop in some situations for sure, but with D3s bodies I don't really care if it is ISO 1600 or 3200...

AF speed was very acceptable... Not quite as fast as 24-70, but fast enough to get sharp images in AF-C mode on moving subjects. At this point I know that I would of probably missed many shots if I kept my 28-300 as a backup...

Distortions are easily corrected in LR and I included lens correction into my initial import preset, so I don't even see it!!!

IMHO - Excellent lens!!! And it is indeed in a different league than 28-300.

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!
www.grigphoto.com

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow