Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Athegn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?
Wrong concept of RAW?
Oct 23, 2012

I am wrong in my reasons for sometimes shooting in RAW?

RAW images are bereft of the camera makers ideas of image development. That leaves me to decide how it should be processed and the final look of the image.

Should I expect that the RAW developer software should show the image just like the Jpeg; if I want that I will shoot in Jpeg.

The camera ALWAYS shoots in RAW, even the cheapest as it is the only way a shot can be taken, but the camera then processes the RAW into a Jpeg using the camera makers idea of how an image should look; allowing that some cameras let the shooter to vary some factors when shooting Jpegs. RAW shooting short circuits that by outputting the RAW image before camera processing.

I think of it like film. I shoot the film and send it to the same processor each time; they produce that same look each time (OK consistency might/will be a problem) however the principle applies. But if I process the film I can choose which factors to vary; ignore costs in this equation.

People have asked why does the RAW software not start with the Jpeg look that my PanyNikCan XZ20102 does. There is your answer. There are many camera manufacturers and many models; an almost impossible task. To achieve nothing. What you start with, in the RAW software, should not be the final image and that should not be like the camera's Jpeg.

When I shoot RAW it is because I have a different idea to the camera maker.

Athegn's gear list:Athegn's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow