Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rich Calsada
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Re: Could somebody clarify new SX50's Lock feature
In reply to Condor, Oct 23, 2012

Condor wrote:

only works at an EVF level

What exactly are you trying to say? Is it really only affecting what you view, and not adding any additional IS.

You know I posted  a set of images with text on a helicopter without and with the lock on, and in this example it worked well keeping the text alot sharper than the image without.

There is no doubt in my experience and I'm sure yours at such an extreme telephoto range 1200 to 2400mm handheld its a struggle keeping the subject still in the viewfinder.

So lets see if running through the sequence of taking a shot helps.

OK, I get the subject framed, now trying to get a focus lock by depressing the shutter halfway is not working to well. Maybe 4 or 5 tries of deep breathing or repositioning the feet gets me steady enough and  the image steady enough to get a lock.

Invoking the focus lock before the half shutter press  has the same steadying effect. Now is this an additional IS that works in conjunction with the regular IS, I can't answer but it definitely works.

Here's some more images at extreme zoom ranges handheld with focus lock used.

Full zoom with 1.5 TC  1928mm

1200mm full zoom

65mm  see the fishermen at end of pier?

here they are! full zoom with 2x tc   2440mm

the fishermen were really jumping around before focus lock.

See rest of set here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52977519@N00/sets/72157631833077728/

From the Brooklyn Promenade

another full zoom with 2x tc. I swear you can almost make out people on observation deck.

Observation deck is just above brown and below gray on Empire State building.

Here's wide angle view taken from Brooklyn promenade.

Rich Calsada's gear list:Rich Calsada's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Kodak EasyShare Z990 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow