Oh Lawd...cancelled D600, now thoroughly confused.

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jacob1733
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Oh Lawd...cancelled D600, now thoroughly confused.
Oct 23, 2012

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Nikon Fan Boy, but I know full and well Canon makes great cameras. I had a D600 on order with a Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 a few days ago but got cold feet and cancelled the order.

Here's the rub, EVERYONE I cross these days shoot with Canon. The most glaring example: I work in a creative department and the creative director shoots video with a pair of 7d's and 2.8 zooms. The other day he needed me to shoot some photos, so I used his gear. I didn't mind the switch, and have almost complete access to his equipment when needed.

So, now I am considering going with Canon because I am sick of always being in the minority (we had a big event the other day and had 5 different photographers, all with Canon's). Plus, with the money I spending on the D600 and 24-70mm, I could get a new 5d2, a used 24-70mm i, and still have $1300 or so to spend on other lenses.

Moving from a D90, I would think the 5d2 would be a great option. I'm not terribly excited about the 6d, especially at almost $700 more than the 5d2 (after rebate, B&H has it for $2200 with the printer and 24-105mm...I'm taking into account selling the extra items).

I know the AF is a weak point on the 5d2, but 95% of my photos are landscape, vacation, family, etc. (not moving subjects). Is there something else I'll be missing on the 5d2 compared to the d600 and 6d? I like the idea of getting into Full Frame and having more money for lenses, but I'm not excited about a 4 year old camera. However, at $1400(ish) I could use it for a few years until Canon gets their act together for the 6d mkII.

Any thoughts? The 7D would end up costing me almost as much as the 5d2, any reason to consider it based on my shooting?

-- hide signature --

D-ninety for now, one day D-eighthundred

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow