Started Oct 23, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mashuga
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
The time has come to retire my PowerBook G4
Oct 23, 2012

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p { margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Times; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

I've been avoiding this day for a long time but I really need to make major changes to my computer and it's outdated software. I've been using this machine since purchased new and pretty much everything has stopped working, that is, old PS, old browser, my same old workflow just doesn't flow anymore. My iPhone 4s won't sync to the G4 and on and on. So it's time to bite the bullet. I work entirely on my G4 with no desktop computer. I shoot photos everyday and print often. So I'm a serious amateur photographer. What are some of your recommendations for a new 15" Mac Book Pro. I'm used to the matt screen and am hesitant about the Retina display. I archive now to a pair of 4TB hard drives via firewire and occasionally do need to burn a CD or DVD. I'm a retired university professor so I can upgrade most of the software I need through my former university. Have not done it because of compatibility issues with the G4. Any help will be appreciated. As you can gather I'm the kind of photographer who really doesn’t need every new bell and whistle and I tend to stick with what I know until it just can't go any further. Last time I bought a new laptop I just walked into an Apple store and said give me a top of the line G4 max out the ram and internal hard drive plunked down my money and carried it home. I've not been sorry at all as I have always been a Mac user and won't even consider a Windows machine. There you have it. The time has come. Help please. One last thing. I don't hang on every new technology announcement so I am really out of touch with the latest and greatest. Thanks for your opinions.

If you'd like to see samples of my work you can see it at either

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mashuga/

Or

http://www.pbase.com/mashuga

-- hide signature --

Mashuga

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow