Interesting Canon comment on "dye" fade resistance

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Interesting Canon comment on "dye" fade resistance
In reply to Mark McCormick, Oct 23, 2012

It is possible to test these "theories" using accelerated life testing. Here is how:

1. Make several identical prints with a test sample array of the principal colors--CMYK+.

2. Scan each color and record the values.

3. Put one photo in an oven at temperature T(1) for an hour. Take it out and remeasure (scan) the color values. Put it back in for another hour and rescan. Put it back for two hours and rescan. Put it back for four hours and rescan. Etc. in a geometric progression, up until the colors fade by an amount (arbitrary) that is felt to be unacceptable--say 30%. The oven speeds up the process of fading.

4. Do the same thing at a temperature T(2) -- T(2) is chosen to be higher or lower than the first temperature depending upon how long it took for the photo to "fail" at the first temperature. If it takes a really long time, choose a higher temperature; if it happened quickly, choose a lower temperature.

Additional temperatures can be added to give additional data points.

5. Now plot the time to failure on a graph where time is scaled logarithmically in the vertical, and the inverse temperature in Kelvin is on the horizontal scale. Project the time to fail down to room temperature- a higher value on the inverse temperature scale.

SeeĀ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_plot -- you may want to google "Arrhenius plot" for some more examples.

Now we have more than just opinions and claims.

I learned this technique at Bell Labs where equipment going into the phone system had to be evaluated for expected life--40 years in the old days. A vice president came into my office to show me his data indicating that silicon integrated circuits built with his metallization system would not fail before the sun!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow