Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Usa
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it safe to by an S100?
In reply to boeckelr, Oct 23, 2012

boeckelr wrote:

Hi -

I am looking for a camera for my Mom's birthday. She wants something small enough to fit in her purse...and I want her to have a decent camera. It will be replacing a 4 or 5 year old compact Panasonic (cant remember the model offhand) that never took good images.

I had it narrowed down to the S100, the Olympus XZ-1, or the Nikon P310.

The Olympus, although small by my standards, isnt compact enough for what my Mom wants (my dad has a Panasonic LX3 and she wanted something more compact). The S100 and the Nikon P310 are a good size for her.

BTW RAW is not an important feature for her. She will be shooting jpegs.

I am leery of the lens issue with the S100....I have read reviews from owners who are on their 4th or 5th S100. I absolutely want to avoid this. I did read the announcement from Canon and know that they are acknowledging the issue and I know that they have narrowed it down to specific serial numbers.

Does anyone have any advice? Are these lens issues endemic to Canon point and shoots? Somehow I remember maybe 10 years ago when I bought a Canon Powershot that some of those models had lens issues also.

All things being equal I would prefer the S100...it has a slightly larger sensor...although I am not sure how much of a difference it will make in day to day use. I almost pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday, but the lens issue made me reconsider.

I know this is a Canon forum...but does anyone have any experience with the Nikon P310? Has anyone here compared the P310 with the S100?

Any help/advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes it is now safe to buy a new S100, as I just did last week, and my camera's first 2 digits in the serial number is 45. The affected cameras with the lens issue are from 29 thru 41. I think it will be quite rare to buy a camera with the affected serial numbers. I do like this camera a lot. First thing I noticed is that when I held it in my hands it felt quite solid and  robust unlike many other cheaper plastic cameras. It has many practical and useful features, and I am enjoying using it everytime I use it and take wonderful pictures. Regarding the price, I paid $290 with free shipping, so I believe it is a much better value than its new replacement the S110 which sells for about $450.

John Usa's gear list:John Usa's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow