Which Macro / Telephoto Prime Solution

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
GlennW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Macro / Telephoto Prime Solution
In reply to alasta, Oct 22, 2012

alasta wrote:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It definitely gives me some things to consider.

In terms of intended use, my primary macro interest would be spiders and general telephoto use would probably be mainly aircraft/cars/boats but to be honest I photograph quite a wide range of things so I want to cover as many bases as possible.

Need to ask 1 more question if you are shooting with D5100 that needs AF-S to autofocus or D7000 so you have a choice of other lens?

For macro use the AF may not be so vital unless you use the AF to get "close" then make adjustments for the final shot.

For bugs & stuff the little 40 is too short unless they are all mounted. The 60 may be as short as you want to go.

The 85 may be OK for hand holding on a DX body. For most bugs you want a 105 or better if you can manage the extra size & weight.

Tamron announced a new 90 that should be available later this year. It has been the value leader while the Nikon 105 may be best of the bunch. You may also like a Sigma 105.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow