D800-is it possible that focusing accuracy gets better over time?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Julius K. Bjornsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
D800-is it possible that focusing accuracy gets better over time?
Oct 22, 2012

I have a small story, a positive one about my D800 which might be encouraging or at least a bit positive.  Six months ago I got the camera and soon thereafter I also got the Spyder Lenscal kit and did a meticulous test of all mye lenses (28, 35, 50, 85, 24-120 and 70-200) and they were all off in some way, most with backfocusing.  And I am sure that I did the measurements exactly and correctly.

So after doing this fine adjustment, I was happy for a while, but recently I noticed that I have been getting focusing problems again, backfocus and generally just not correct focus.  And when I checked the camera it appeared to have lost all these settings so my first conclusion was that somehow the fine adjustment settings had been deleted.  Have no idea how, as I have not touched these settings since.

So I took the time and tested all my lenses again today and lo and behold, all the adjustments were either unnecessary og very very small.  Some of the lenses needed a -10 or more adjustment six months ago and now most of them need almost no adjustment.

So my conclusion is that either I did this all wrong to begin with, or the camera has gotten better in some strange way.  So after testing everything agin today, I am again getting correct focus and honestly do not have an explanation for this.  Any speculation would be appreciated on how this could happen (get better) and also on how the camera can loose the former settings.  That is a mystery, as It has been in constant use on and off and has never been without a charged battery.

Would love to hear any good explanations og ideas.

Julius

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow