Started Oct 22, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
New Body or new Lens?
Oct 22, 2012

Ok, hear me out on this one, I've been saving up for a little while now and have enough to either get the D600 or the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.  I was thinking about getting the 70-200 but i know i'd use the 24-70 a lot more.  (whatever i get first, i'll start saving toward the other and then the 70-200).

Normally I'd say get the lens since its almost always better to have better glass then a better body (I currently own the D7k which is still a fantastic camera).  But i could really use a second body for shooting weddings (i'm currently borrowing a D50 which just isnt out working anymore).

I currently own 2 FX lenses, the 50mm and 85mm 1.8 primes, and 3 DX lenses, the 18-200, 35mm, and a 10-20mm.  So having the 24-70 2.8 would be extremely useful and would tip the scales towards FX lenses (i'll probably get rid of the 35mm).

If i get the 24-70 i'll probably have to rent a D7k.  So that's about $70-$100 every time I rent it.  That's not too bad, but eats into profits and I really dont like the idea of renting when i could own...

I know if i get the 24-70 i'd use it all the time.  The only time i'd use the 50 or 85 would be if i really need the extra ambient or seperation.

So, i guess what this boils down to is which will yield me better images?  In which case, going with the 24-70 seems to be the clear choice and i'll just have to loose $100 (rounding up) per event to rent a second D7k untill i can afford the D600.

Every time i delve into this i reach a different conclusion and could use some outside input
Thanks in advance.

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon D50 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow