TomJD
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: The problem is...
In reply to ThrillaMozilla, Oct 22, 2012

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Midnighter wrote:

As to the differences between Epson and Canon ink I have no idea

Canon print heads produce a little burst of heat for each drop of ink.  The heat produces a bubble that ejects a drop of ink.  Ink for Canon printers contains an organic solvent to lower the bubble point, i.e., the temperature at which a bubble is produced.  Epson print heads are piezoelectric.  Because they do not rely on thermal production of a bubble, there is more latitude in ink composition.  You can reasonably expect that different ink compositions might react differently to a given type of paper, although it's hard to be more specific.  You can always try, I suppose, but Canon and Epson papers are optimized for quite different ink types.

Bingo..... there is a lot more to inks than the colorants:  humectants, surfactants, auxiliary (binder) polymers, and more.  All affect how the ink interacts with the printhead and the paper it is being printed on.  Consequently, the quality (and longevity and durability) of a print made with a particular printer will be very dependent on the paper used.  A paper optimized for a particular ink formulation will be lucky indeed to give equally good print quality with another ink formulation, even if both inks rely on the same colorant type (dyes or pigments). Formulating a single paper to give good results with all inkjet printers is a good way for an R&D chemist to lose sleep.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow