Save me from my endless indecision: which camera should I buy?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Questions thread
MRAJ
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Save me from my endless indecision: which camera should I buy?
In reply to L_art_prints, Oct 22, 2012

L_art_prints wrote:

I've decided to get a new camera and I'm having some trouble deciding. I could use some help.

I'm an artist, I take a lot of photos of landscapes for reference material. I need a camera that fits in my bag (not my pocket). It has to turn on and take a picture very quickly. It also needs to work reasonably well in low light, like dusk, dawn and for full moon shots. I want good color.

Last year I bought a Sony NEX-3 w/ a 16mm lens. I then bought the Sigma 30mm and it's painfully slow to turn on and has a long delay after I press the shutter (very frustrating and I miss too many shots). I also dislike the Sony electronic menu system. I'll sell that camera and lens once I replace it and I'll probably never buy another Sony.

I have a Nikon D60 that I use to photograph my paintings. It's great. Too heavy to keep with me.

I never use flash, video, rarely take photos of people. I just need a fast lens, gorgeous landscape shots, good low light. Telephoto isn't terribly important - most of my shots are wide. I'd appreciate a viewfinder.

My preference is for a rangefinder style camera. I had an Olympus Pen in the late 60's to mid-70's and really loved that little camera. I keep looking at the Fuji X10. I like the controls and the way it feels in my hand. I also wonder about the Olympus XZ1 as the price is low and I could add a great viewfinder. I love the look of the new Fuji XF1 and the wide lens. I've also considered the Panasonic LX7 and the Olympus Pen E series (Pen e PL3?).

What would you recommend?

Olympus OM-D E-M5

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/

-- hide signature --

CASIO EX-Z850; OLYMPUS FE-180; OLYMPUS MJU-7020
"To Accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."

MRAJ's gear list:MRAJ's gear list
Olympus FE-180 Nokia Lumia 925 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow