14yo Skateboarder - T3i/600D or Nikon V1 or Panasonic G3?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
14yo Skateboarder - T3i/600D or Nikon V1 or Panasonic G3?
Oct 22, 2012

My 14yo son is interested in getting his first camera to capture skateboard moves at the local skateboard park (it's mainly an indoor park, so I doubt it's highly lit).  He's interested in both stills and video.  Apparently some of the kids have photographer parents, so they have full-frame DSLRs in tow for capturing their moves.

He's saving money - I'd expect him to have $300 by the holiday (and Dad could always help).

Nikon V1: I'm inclined to steer him towards the Nikon V1 - mainly because of its ability to capture bursts of up to 60fps at its full 10MPixels.  It seems like this would really get him some great shots of tricks.  Also, it's nicely priced at $349 for a refurb with the 10-30mm lens (I'd probably surprise him with the flash).

T3i: He's very interested in a DSLR because that's what his friends use.  I've warned him to be careful of older cameras on craigslist, as video capabilities were still evolving.  So he's looking at potentially saving up longer for a T3i.

G3: I have a GH3 with a 10mm, 14-42pz, and 45-175pz, so of course a G3 is attractive as we could share lens' (hopefully they steal the 5DMkII at the skatepark and not my lens!).

For what he's going to use it for, is there a compelling reason to go for a T3i rather than the V1?  Assume he'll be using the kit lens - no $1000 fast glass is in his future.

Thanks....

Kevin's gear list:Kevin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow