Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steerpike
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Matching RAW to JPG from LX5
Oct 22, 2012

I've just started using RAW on my Lumix LX5. When I open the RAW file with Adobe Camera Raw 6.2, the initial image displayed is not as good as the jpg that is also created (contrast is too great). I know I can tweak the heck out of the image in ACR, but what I was hoping for was figuring out what ACR settings would mimic the JPG image.  Is there a simple answer to that?

Putting this another way, this is my understanding of how raw / jpg works. You take the picture and the first version of the image, with LOTS of information, is stored as the RAW file. The camera then does it's best job of adjusting the image for things like white balance, etc, and creates the jpg version.   I guess the adjustments made by the camera are not retained along with the raw file so you'll never actually know quite how the camera arrived at the jpg result?
The reason I am asking is, there are a few images I'm working with where, try as I might, I can't get the image to look as good as the initial jpg image.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow