They Want .TIFF Files

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Olaf Ulrich
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
Re: They Want TIFF Files
In reply to davids8560, Oct 22, 2012

davids8560 wrote:

I'm an amateur photographer. I mostly shoot JPEGs. They asked me to send my photos in TIFF format, at 300 dpi. I have Photoshop 6 and Lightroom 4. I see that I can use "Save As" in Photoshop to save a JPEG in TIFF format, but if I recall correctly, a photo has to be shot in TIFF format to be a true TIFF file. Anyway, I'm a little confused. Can I do what they're asking? I have no idea how to do this in Lr4 at all.

There's a very simple rule of thumb: Customers asking for digital pictures at 300 dpi have no clue what they are talking about. And asking for TIFF files is as foolish as asking for '300 dpi'.

When you have Photoshop (6? Huh? I hope you mean CS6) then you also have Bridge. Select your JPEG files in Bridge's CONTENT pane, then in Bridge's main menu bar select Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor. Photoshop will come up, and inside Photoshop, the Image Processor's dialog. Tick 'Save as TIFF' and hit 'Run'. Done.

Before you batch-convert your JPEG files to TIFF format using Photoshop's Image Processor, you may want to fine-tune your pictures first. The easiest way to do this is using Camera Raw. Even though it's originally meant to process raw images, it can just as well handle JPEG images. Use it to adjust white balance, exposure, contrast, highlights and shadows, etc. Also use it to crop, if necessary. In Camera Raw's Workflow options, set the ppi value to 300 and the bit depth to 8 bit. Select the colour space as required—for the '300 dpi' kind of customer, sRGB usually is appropriate. You can save any adjusted JPEG file to TIFF directly from Camera Raw. But it's easier to adjust all your files first, clicking Done rather than Save Image to finish a file, and finally use the Image Processor to convert them all to TIFF in a batch, particularly if they are many. Rather than Camera Raw, you may just as well use Lightroom. Makes no difference.

If some of your TIFF files are not '300 ppi', load them into Photoshop and use the Image > Image Size function to change the ppi setting to 300. Make sure to unselect the Resample Image check box before hitting OK!

Shooting in TIFF format is neither required nor possible (with most cameras). If the customer is clueless enough to ask for TIFF files then simply convert what you have to TIFF. As simple as that.

davids8560 wrote:

And do you think if I am going to be submitting photos it's time I should start shooting in RAW now?

Yes, definitely. Always shoot in raw format! Or, better yet, in Raw+JPEG format.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow