Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
Some clear understandings
Oct 22, 2012

have slowly dawned on me as I have begun swinging my thoughts towards going FX. They are really really being  hammered home the more I scan FX shots here and else where. From what I am seeing...

1 FX will not give a person artistic talent/vision not present in DX or point & shoot shots .

2 FX will not immediately produce better looking shots (technical side)  - Most possibly worse.

Seems to my little brain..that FX should only be chosen over DX or p&s for some artistic goal  or a pragmatic need for larger file sizes (for printing or cropping purposes not related to an artistic  impetus)

These thoughts surfaced with force over at a guys house who shoots only p&s. He, like zillions of people, has a computer slammed full of shots from his p&s that have never been printed or used for anything except looking at on the 'puter. I  wanted him to check out some D800 shots on flickr so we went there. Woo...not pretty.

Gottah say at screen size technically speaking there appears to be little real difference between a shot from a D800 and any p&S. The artistic quality of the D800 shots were  generally the same as the p&s crowd IMHO.

I would have to say ..90% plus of people presently shooting have ZERO need for a FX cam let alone a DX  cam with more than 12 pixels. A vast chunk of the shooters out there should be fine with their smart phone or Ipad photos- however ..actual need verse wants ???..well..that's what keeps the economy rolling I guess. No one really needed those big bad gas sucking muscle cars of the 60s and early 70's and even less so their reproductions today ..but hey there was and is  a want- a desire for them unrelated to practicality that keeps them selling.

I think  the basically pointless pixel climb in p&s is at work and is the attraction to FX cams..I doubt if it will end anytime soon. If the prices drop you could see, in the future, grannies shooting FX 40 megapixel ..yup.. fully automatic ..cams!

Ah the power of marketing!!

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow