Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,621Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Steen Bay, Oct 22, 2012

Steen Bay wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

shooter00 wrote:

I wish they would have made the digital zoom/digital converter available in raw mode instead of a jpg only deal....(sigh)

They can't.  RAW is RAW.  It has not been demosaiced yet, so there is no picture image until it goes through a RAW converter.  You can only digital zoom by cropping an image and RAW only has RAW data from the sensor, so it cannot yet be manipulated like a jpg can.  That's why it works the way that it does.

Yes, RAW is RAW, but if shooting RAW + JPEG, then I can't see why it isn't possible to 'manipulate' the OOC JPEGs (use/configure things like Digital Zoom, i-Contrast, My Colors and NR), like it is if shooting JPEG only.

I see what you mean Steen.  The only reason I can think of is that when shooting RAW + jpg is the image processing pipeline is dedicated to a conversion of the RAW image to jpg and Canon deemed that the additional time required to then process further to a cropped digital zoom jpg lengthened the shot to shot time excessively and decided that would not be a wise move.

Or it may have something to do with the processing pipeline sequence that made it impossible to give both a full sized RAW and a cropped jpg simultaneously.  Only Canon really knows why...

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow