Can Olympus 4/3 glass cover a bigger image circle?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
nugat
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
Re: But will you like the results?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Oct 22, 2012

It's nice that Diglloyd rechecked and corrected himself. Now we are within +/- 1mm  error range each.

diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121021_6-Olympus-SHG-lens-coverage.html

Still don't know how he mounted the Zuiko on his D800 and where those baffles' shadows came from. After his retest they are gone.

As for the practicality of increasing the image circle of 4/3...

I'll quote myself from another site:

"
What Sony/Olympus could do is to pick up the standard Sony APS-C sensor 23,5 x 15.6 mm (diagonal/image circle diameter 28.2mm). Establish the new format (“FTmax”?) image circle at somewhere 26mm. Note that Canon’s APS-C image circle is 26.2mm. Within that image circle three “native”* ratios could be achieved: 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. The last one especially attractive to film makers. Having a true super35mm frame on the FTmax would be a unique sellinig point to the film crowd.
That way the E7 could be a nice APS-C/FTmax/super35 camera utilizing the existing Zuiko SHG glass. The interesting part is how the MTFs would change from the current 10.8mm limiting distance from the image field center.
Adding another 2.2 mm each way of the diagonal might see some deterioration, but given the currently near-perfect MTF, the performance could be still better than that from any APS-C system.
As a side note for the filmamkers I once compared the performance of the Zuiko 14-35 with that of a pro film glass (Angenieux Optimo ) on the panasonic Af100. Olympus won.
*”native” that is not cropped from one 4:3 ratio sensor. The same way the oversized sensor of Panasonic GH2 can deliver three frames of the same diagonal but different ratios."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow