Wow. The video on the K30 is really bad.

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Przybylski
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Wow. The video on the K30 is really bad.
Oct 22, 2012

Owned a K5 about a year ago. Loved it. But wanted better video. Tried the Sony lines of cameras, but was SO SPOILED by the weatherproofing and feel of the Pentax that I wasn't happy.

Also, the image quality of the K5 is hands-down the best I've seen from any mid-range DSLR that i've used.

I ordered the K30 and, as expected, i'm thrilled with the feel of the camera, grip, handling, interface, responsiveness, and image quality is just about exactly on-par with the K5.

I love doing video's, and I don't do it nearly as much as I take photo's but I do take them quite often.

I did a few videos with the K30 over the weekend and I'm SHOCKED at how bad they render.

The quality of the files is just abysmal compared to just about anything else. Honestly, with a little care my iPhone 5 takes better video.

Here's a link to a video I made. It's not the worst thing in history, but this was the best footage I could muster. The "Jello" effect on this camera with SR on is the worst i've encountered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cErWV2dw_cs&feature=g-upl

I think I can work with it if I needed to - perhaps to get some nice DOF shots with some good lenses, but my GOSH Pentax, come ON! You have, IMO the best DSLR's available. Get this video right and you'll hit it out of the park!!

For anyone interested, I think the BEST video settings are:

1080p, 30fps, highest quality, SR OFF

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow