I photograph real estate. Which camera is appropriate.

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842
Like?
Re: I photograph real estate. Which camera is appropriate.
In reply to Yescats, Oct 22, 2012

Yescats wrote:

I'm new to DSLR photography but have been using a point and shoot for many years as a Realtor. I also had a Minolta SRT Super many years ago and got pretty good at it. I want to take better photos of small rooms which means a wide angle lens. I like the Sony A65. A couple of the things I like is it has panorama, built in stabilization as well as other features Nikon, Canon and Pentax don't have. What I don't like is the screen doesn't swivel out to the side and it's not a full format. I don't want to spend more then $1000. I need to save some money for the lenses.

I would eventually want to go pro. I bought a Nikon D4 and returned it because it had a Hong Kong warrantee (they swore over the phone it would be a US model). But I felt I was jumping the gun anyway. My reasoning is the Sony would work well for real estate and give me some knowledge for when I'm ready for a pro camera like the D4.

1) Being that I will need a very short lens for bathroom shots is it a mistake not to get a full frame format camera? Does Sony have a reasonably priced (any recommendations?) short lens that would take good shots of very small spaces?

2) Being that I eventually would like to get a pro level camera am I barking up the wrong tree with the Sony? I assume I would buy a Nikon or Canon if I go pro.

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Cat

For $1000 you are not getting full frame and a wide angle lens (even a older used one), so start looking at APS-C. The A65 is a good camera but even then getting a good wide-angle with it might be pushing the budget. the A65 body is running about $800 right now leaving $200 for the lens. The kit 18-55 is moderate wide-angle 27mm equivalent in FF, I would think you would want to get down to at least 20mm equivalent in FF, or a 12 or 13mm APS-C lens. The cheapest wide-angle zoom for Sony Alpha mount is the the Sigma 10 to 20mm f/4.5-5.6 for $480. Tamron has the slightly faster SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II for $500. The cheapest Sony is the SAL-1118 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 DT for $800. So with body you are looking at $1280 or more. If you drop down to the A57 body for $600 you can get close to your budget at $1080. A Nikon D5100 body is now $500 and pretty equivalent to the Sony A57, except for some on the sweep panorama, low light multi exposure stuff. The Tamron and Sigma wide-angles are about the same price for Nikon, so you would save $100. The D7000 would be a closer match to the A65 but is more expensive at $1000 body only.

Sony has only one FF high end camera right now, A99, but they do have a history of pro support in the video world. Right now only Nikon and Canon have true pro lines in still, but Sony will be introducing some more FF bodies next year, some rumored to be Nikon D800 and D4 competitors. Sony would still need to add still support to the video pro program to compete, but if you are taking a couple of years to learn, then there is no reason not to start with Sony, you can move to Canon or Nikon if Sony's high end cameras fail to meet your expectations.

The cheapest way to get wide-angle right now is to get a Lumix LX-5 with the wide-angle adaptor, I think the whole thing with adaptors gets you to a 18mm FF equivalent for around $800.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow