Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dopravopat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
My opinion on the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 OS
Oct 22, 2012

So I finally bought the new Sigma 50-150 f2.8 OS lens as a replacement for my old MkI Sigma 50-150, to use it on my EOS 60D. The new lens bets its predecessor in every aspect except size and weight. The new 50-150 OS could be a bit shorter to fit comfortably into my bag, the diameter nor weight are problem.

The OS works pretty good, if Sigma claims 4 stop, then it is 1/15 s at 150 mm. With that setting I got about 20-25% sharp results, which is acceptable. I even tried 1/8 s at 150 mm handhold and to my surprise I got some sharp shots when viewed at 100%. At 1/30 (3 stops) the keeper rate was well above 80%.

The lens handles good and the operation of the zoom and focus rings is smooth. AF is much faster that on the 1st generation of the 50-150 lens and precise. The lens can be used for close-up photography, the MFD of 80 cm is great. The sharpness is amazing, even wide open. Bokeh is also nice. I will need to test this lens under various conditions, but it looks like a good choice.

To conclude this mini-review, it was well worth the 934 Euro and I hope I can get maybe 300 Euro for the old lens (which is in very good condition), so a ~600 Euro uprgrade cost seems to be a great deal. Anybody interested?

-- hide signature --

Erik

dopravopat's gear list:dopravopat's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +9 more
Canon EOS 60D Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow