Why can't I have a super bridge/super zoom?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,719
Like?
Why can't I have a super bridge/super zoom?
Oct 22, 2012

This forum seems a good place to ask this question as Panny have a good track record in this field.

There’s a widely held belief that there is an upper limit to what people will pay for a bridge camera which I don’t adhere to.  The argument has always been that if you can buy a starter DSLR kit for say £400, (dollars or euros) then why would anybody buy a bridge camera that cost more.  That’s a nonsense argument as anybody who has owned a good bridge camera  knows,(I had two FZ50s) because a DSLR starter kit comes nowhere close to being able to duplicate the functionality of the bridge.  The minimum investment is likely to be two or three times the cost of the bridge.  Of course the DSLR brings other advantages but not to those people who want a multifunctional carry anywhere camera.  I have spent the last three years with two Oly DSLRs to replace my FZ50s.  They have served me well but I still miss so much about the FZ50 and looking back it took some great pictures which in the right circumstances gave the DSLRS a good run for their money.

My question is suppose Panny throw away the £400 limit and said actually people will pay up to £1000 for their ideal camera.  What could you build as an FZ50 or FZ200 super zoom.  With the technology available?  What would a £1000 superzoom look like.  What could it do with twice the investment? Am I wrong in thinking there would be a market?

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow