Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
My D600 got really wet yesterday
Oct 22, 2012

Took my new D600 and Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD with me early Sunday morning to our local annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure.  Problem was, though, there was light rain all morning long!  I had checked the weather ahead of time and knew that there could be showers, so I brought a soft cloth to wipe my camera with, and my regular lens cleaning cloth to keep the lens free of spots.

It never rained real hard, but boy, it just would not stop raining.   Every time I looked down to check my D600, it was beaded all over and covered with water drops.  It seemed even worse with the lens, as the knurls on the barrel seem to help keep the water in place.  So I was continually wiping my camera for the whole 2 hours that I was there.  I had the lens hood over the lens, but still had problems with rain drops getting on the filter.   So I had to wipe it numerous times too.

Did I worry too much in wiping my camera off so much?   I know that both my D600 and my Tamron say that they have weather sealing.  The large cloth I brought was pretty much soaked by the end.  Even my lens cloth was getting rather wet before I left.  The camera and lens both seem fine to be fine, and I had no problem using them at the event.

Should I not worry about light rain in the future?   What if I ever get caught in a heavy downpour, though?  Does anyone have any tips on dealing with shooting on a rainy day?

All of the news media at the event had protective covers over their video camcorders, as you can see here in this photo:

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow