Started Oct 22, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomatoketchup
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
RX1 or NEX-6 with prime lens?
Oct 22, 2012

I am looking for a smallish camera with a sensor large enough to take people pictures with relatively good subject isolation (shallow depth of field).  I recently tested out a Nikon D5100 with a 35mm 1.8 prime lens and really loved the photos from it, but I ended up returning it because it's too big and heavy, and I would never be happy traveling with anything that large.  Also, the field of view of that particular lens was a bit too narrow.

I have an RX1 on order as I think it will provide everything I am looking for, but I've also recently been looking at the NEX-6.  If I went with the NEX-6, I would likely get a fast prime lens along with it- like the Zeiss 24mm 1.8.  A 35mm equivalent lens would provide pretty much 95% of what I use my camera for, so if I did get the NEX-6, that one prime lens would probably stay on most of the time.

The NEX-6 with the prime lens would be $800 cheaper with the benefit of having a built in viewfinder, but would be slightly larger in overall size, especially with the huge Zeiss lens attached. The sensor is smaller, but for my non-professional needs would likely be more than large enough for my purposes.  Neither camera really qualifies as being pocketable, so I'm not sure the extra inch on the NEX-6 would make much of a practical difference in terms of size and portability.

Is the full frame sensor and overall package of the RX1 worth the approximate $800 extra, or should I save some cash and go for the NEX-6?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow