Thinking of selling my 5D MK II and moving to an X-E1. Want advice.

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Airquotes
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Thinking of selling my 5D MK II and moving to an X-E1. Want advice.
Oct 21, 2012

Hello everyone,

Over the past few years I've come to the realization that I want a smaller camera. I find I don't take my 5D as much as I'd like because I get sick of lugging it around everywhere. My solution up until now has been selling off my zooms and moving to smaller primes. Right now I've been shooting with the 40mm 2.8 pancake which is an amazing lens and about as small as you can go.

I looked at the X-Pro 1 when it came out but it's still too large for me. It's really not that much smaller then the 5d but I love the build quality and manual controls. I think the X-E1 might be the camera for me.

My question is, will I be happy with it? I started with a classic 5D so I've never owned a crop sensor camera. I went 35 > 5D > 5D MK II so I'm really used to the format. I've never dealt with crop factors or APC-C size sensors or anything.

The X-E1 really appeals to me due to it's size and Fuji's commitment to making small high quality primes that don't cost a zillion dollars. I almost pulled the trigger on the X100 a few times but just couldn't justify spending that much on a fixed lens camera. The X-E1 seems like the perfect compromise.

Does anyone on here own a 5D MK II and an X-Pro 1? Are you happy with the IQ? Does it feel lacking vs the 5D? I shoot a lot of landscape so I'm afraid of the loss of megapixels. I'm willing to make the compromise though if people here think the IQ is good.

If I Craigslist all my Canon gear I should have around 3 grand to play with which should give me enough to buy a body and a few primes. I was thinking of getting the 35, the 60, and the 18, although I've read the 18 isn't that great.

Let me know what you think. I'm not rich enough to own both systems to it would be one or the other.

Thanks for your help.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow