Like?
Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC mini-review
In reply to leoda, Oct 21, 2012

leoda wrote:

HSway wrote:

leoda wrote:

Leon Obers wrote:

leoda wrote:

Can you comment (seriously) or show how this Samyang compares to the 18-55 kit lens set at 18mm on a DX camera?

No you can't. Field of view of a Samyang 14mm for FX image area is comparable to a focal length of 9.33 mm lens for a DX camera.

If you will put the Samyang lens to a DX camera, you have to compare to another 14mm lens. The 18-55 kit lens doesn't go to 14mm

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Actually 14mm in FF has the FOV of 21mm in DX, but let's skip over that mistake.

It is possible to compare and comment on image quality of one lens set at 18mm and another at 14mm. It would help me decide if I wanted to buy the Samyang.

Your question wasn’t logical and his statement is correct (he says in what FL the FOV are comparable on each format) as well as yours is correct with a little correction (how to get "14mm dx' FOV" on fx, which is 21mm) but they are both irrelevant;-)

For this comparison 14mm Samyang is 14 and 18mm is 18.

He answered it already as he uses dx cameras:

Astoundingly, it is also a hair sharper than the Zeiss 18mm prime.

-the 18mm zeiss is no doubt sharper than 18-55.

I would love to get my hands on 35/1.4 Samyang soon. I handled one about a month ago. The build quality of the lens surprised me and the same for what it produced.

-- hide signature --

Hynek

The credibility of these comments has gone down the drain.

I can’t see the credibility would be going anywhere.

The OP compared the 14mm lens to a variety of lenses of other focal lengths. My question was painfully simple and logical . . . . can you compare it directly to the 18-55kit zoom, set at 18mm?

As a footnote: sharpness is one quality of a lens, and to lots of creative people, it is NOT the most important characteristic.

If you have something credible to contribute to my question besides snippy  schoolyard remarks, that would be great. Otherwise, wipe your nose and go to your room now.

I have done this as a side note (the zeiss and dx camera note).

But my post was about your mistake by which you chose to correct something what is correct. But I think I gathered what you meant although it doesn’t save it from being quite bizarrely irrelevant for 14mm lens to 18 mm lens (fx or dx) comparison in my post:

Your question wasn’t logical and his statement is correct (he says in what FL the FOV are comparable on each format) as well as yours is correct with a little correction (how to get "14mm dx' FOV" on fx, which is 21mm) but they are both irrelevant;-)

For this comparison 14mm Samyang is 14 and 18mm is 18.

Otherwise, let’s skip the bit about logic or lack thereof It just referred to why I guess Leon Obers’s (also irrelevant) comment was made or confused him:

leoda wrote:

Can you comment (seriously) or show how this Samyang compares to the 18-55 kit lens set at 18mm on a DX camera?

the 18-55 vs 14mm is not possible to compare in any different way but only on dx format. But that's a trifle.

-- hide signature --

Hynek

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow