Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bruce Crossan
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
D600 Samples - Focusing in Low Light
Oct 21, 2012

Took my two boys to the Armageddon Expo in Auckland yesterday. . . shooting here with 85mm f1.8G at ISO 3200, the lens close to wide open.  The D600 struggled to focus in the poor light - I missed 75% of the shots I wanted, with single point, AF-C set - hunting all the while. None of the dynamic modes would work at all.  Selecting the appropriate focus point very quick and easy.  I do like how small each focus point is - makes it a little easier to precisely select where to focus.

I am very impressed with how clean the images are at ISO 3200 - roughly the equal of around ISO 640 on my D300.

Some samples - not particularly good shots:

Focus was quick on a static subject with lots of contrast:

The conditions were challenging and I don't think the D300 would have coped with focusing much better.

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Crossan's gear list:Bruce Crossan's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow