Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176
Like?
What is the value of a top LCD?
Oct 21, 2012

I could pose this question on any DSLR forum but as I'm currently mostly using the D5100, i'll pose it here.

I have an older camera, another brand, with a top LCD. I was a bit apprehensive when I committed to the d5100 (poor man's d7000). I was used to checking and adjusting settings with the top LCD but in no time at all, I found I prefered the larger, easier to read back LCD.

The top LCD as far as I know (and please someone correct this assumption if it is wrong) was developed when film cameras started to incorporate electronic controls. One no longer read settings off a dial or a ring around the lens or had to peer through the VF to see what you had set up.

It must have been a great advance in camera usability but also an essential one with electronic controls.

But with a back LCD that is just as informative, isn't a top LCD a relic from the past? Do we really need it? I keep reading comments from users who praise the addition of a top LCD to their camera. I understand that a quick glance down on the top of the camera is easy to do but so is a quick glance down as you turn the camera body 90 degrees to read the back.

Or am I missing some vital point that will make my photography better if I have a top LCD?

-- hide signature --

jamesza

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow