Started Oct 21, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary396
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
OM-D E-M5 and Panasonic Lenses
Oct 21, 2012

Can anyone advise on the following re interchangeable lenses please. Not being too familiar with the MFT world I seem to be going round in circles trying to get this worked out.

I use a Nikon D300 coupled with some Nikon FX lens (and may move up to an FX camera at some stage but this is probably a long way off). In the short term I'm looking for something smaller to carry when I don't have the D300 and lenses with me. Also a lot of my photography is at historic / classic motorsport events in the UK so my current set up is ideal but a second smaller camera would be useful for 'pits and paddock' shots, i.e. without have to remove a longer lens from the D300.

One option is a Nikon V1 (or rumoured V2) even allowing for its limitations. But the ability to use my Nikon lenses via its adapater is attractive; as is the relative fast autofocus tracking (e.g. as a back-up for motorsport).

But before going down the V1 route I am also considering the EM-5. I realize that these are quite different cameras and do tend to polarise opinions. But my query is - I understand that the EM-5 can use Panasonic lenses and, as my wife owns a Panasonic G2 with the kit Panasonic 14-42, can that lens be used directly on the EM-5 or does it need some sort of adaptor. If it can, then that might be another 'plus' in favour of the EM-5, i.e. we could then share lenses (although I think there may be better options than the above 14-42).

So in short, can any Panasonic lens for the G2 also be used on the EM-5 and conversely can any Olympus lens for the EM-5 also be used on the G2? I presume they're both classed as MFT cameras? Hope this meakes sense, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Gary

gary396's gear list:gary396's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
ANSWER:
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow