Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jochenb
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
My first impressions of the X-E1
Oct 21, 2012

A local store (in Belgium) had 1 black X-E1 in stock yesterday. Sooner than I expected. I also bought the 35mm lens.

Below are my first impressions. I've been testing the OM-D and X-PRO1 the last month so I'll also compare them with the X-E1.

- It's small and light. On pictures the difference with the X-PRO1 seems neglectable, but you notice it very well in the hands.

- Build quality is OK, but not as good as the OM-D and the X-PRO1. It has a more plasticky feel. Nothing to really worry about.

- The EVF is very sharp, but yes: it lags when looking at moving subjects or in low light. The one in the X-PRO1 is clearly inferior, but the one in the OM-D clearly better IMHO. The EVF of the OM-D has a higher refresh rate and you notice that very well.

The eye sensor works well.

- The LCD screen is alright. It's lower quality than that of the OM-D and X-PRO1, but I think it's good enough.

- AF is still sluggish (with the 35mm lens). You sometimes have to try several times before you get the green AF confirm box. It just doesn't feel snappy. The lens also is quite noisy when focusing. The OM-D is MILES ahead here.

- IQ is great. The files look cleaner than those from my 5DII. Great colors. The OM-D just isn't able to reach this same level of IQ.

- The controls are great. You see what your settings are even before turning on the camera.

Technically I think the OM-D really is a better camera, but I didn't buy it because of the smaller sensor and the fact that (in my eyes) it can't get the same IQ as the Fujis.

The reasons for not buying the X-PRO1 mostly were the price difference and the much better EVF of the X-E1 (with diopter wheel).

Hopefully some of you find these impressions useful. If there's anything you want to know: just ask.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow