(Revised)Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
(Revised)Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.
Oct 21, 2012

I have opened a thread this morning, and provided some vital facts about PDAF in NEX 5r/6, but unfortunately one of the most important facts is totally wrong. I'm so sorry for this confusion and hope moderator could remove that thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286950And I can't edit the previous posts, just hope everyone come in check this revision post.

Correction:

5. PDAF can only be activated when aperture is no greater than f/6.3 (e.g: f/7-f13 works, f/1.8-f5.6 won't work)

Should be totally inverse:

PDAF can only be activated when aperture value is no greater than f/6.3 (e.g: f/1.4-f/6.3 works, f/7.1-f22 won't work)

And the whole facts should be list as:

1. It only works with supported lens(16-50 pz, 18-55, 55-210, 18-200, 24z)

2. It only works with still image, not for movies.

3. It turned on automatically and cannot be turned off w/ supported lens(list above. at present).

4. The menu item"PDAF aera" only controls the display of PDAF pixels, not to control PDAF function itself.

5. PDAF can only be activated when aperture value is no greater than f/6.3 (e.g: f/1.4-f/6.3 works, f/7.1-f22 won't work)

6. PDAF won't work when it's dark.

7. PDAF won't work when AF illumination turned on.

8. When you fullfil the limitation above, the PDAF really works, but mostly benefit in AF-C mode, when you half-hold the shutter and change focus target, the lens won't hunt like breath effect. You can tell the difference between f5.6 to f7. but In AF-S mode AF speed is almost the same with previous NEX, but it hunts a little less for focus.

I only did the test on 5R and 18-55, 55-210. I can't tell if the new bunch of lens will change these facts.

So, In conclusion, the PDAF function in 3rd Gen NEX is a welcome gift, but not really a game changer, period. Don't throw your NEX-7/5n right away 

Because of my handhelding video, you may not notice the breath effect in AF-C, but you can simulate it with your own NEX. the PDAF part(f5.6) is totally breath effect free it's like taking a still image.

http://youtu.be/FB7IW9VCIt8

And last, I give you the full detail manual of NEX-5r/6 extracted form my CD, not the concise one you downloaded from fcc:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0nt85r1ti5wy9h/Handbook%20NEX%205r%206%20EN.pdf

And I just want to say thank you to:El Matadurrblue_skiesviking79BRUCEK56Timbuktodzajba, jpr2Robert Morrisdquangt and Enthused to raise the doubts and eventually make me discover the truth. Thank you!

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +17 more
NEX5R Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow