Reikan Focal D800 Multi Point Focus results --- Post them here

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Harrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?
Re: Reikan Focal D800 Multi Point Focus results --- Post them here
In reply to GMack, Oct 21, 2012

GMack wrote:

My results seem to vary version to version.

Version 1.4 or 1.5 produced this which wasn't bad:

Then I got this thing which must be the worst D800E out there with version 1.6.0:

A third run with version 1.6 produced this one:

Puzzling.

All with the same Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 lens too.  Same lighting.  Way different results between versions even though they use the same target too.  A "Green check-mark" should be "Good to go," but something is screwy and I haven't gotten them to respond to as "Why?" (Twice sent.)

I need to try version 1.7.0 beta sometime and see where it leads. Can't get any worse ... I hope!  Maybe this week, unless they produce a final version out of beta sometime soon.

My real world "Focus on the Eye" by moving the AF spot around seems good, especially with the 70-200mm f/2.8 which is sort of stubborn with FoCal at times due to shake or movement so I surmise.  On that lens I just crank in a -16 (my average between ends of focal length between 70mm and 200mm) and leave it.  When I can see hairs coming out of skin pores I know I'm not far off, even a bit of fabric moire indicates I'm close to being dead on.

I dunno, but the version algorithms seem to waver a bit.  For now, I use my fold-out target and shoot a shot of it at my shooting distance and zoom in and see where it zeros out too and apply some BF or FF corrections if needed (and even they seem to change too for whatever reasons.).  Might need to try it a few times before I get a good average too (which FoCal seems to do itself as well.).

Mack

Hi

I have the same problem with FoCal. Every time the same lens was tested it gave a differing result.

the latest version will not run now after the upgrade to 1.6 on my machine.

Opened a support ticket with Reikan and had the ticket cancelled twice without any response offered.

Seems it is not all it is cracked up to be.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow