Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Darryl Luscombe
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
FZ200 - feeling frustrated.
Oct 21, 2012

I have only had my FZ200 for a couple of days, but I am feeling very frustrated in the IQ of the images I am getting from the camera. I have shot a couple of hundred images since it arrived.

I have to say I am underwhelmed by the IQ so far.

I have followed many of the threads on this forum for settings for producing good images from this camera over the last few weeks.

I have a long background in digital imaging, my first digital camera was a Kodak DC210 - a "megapixel camera" - anyone else remember the amazement of seeing a one megapixel image in all it's glory back then?

Since then I have owned many Canon P&S's and DSLR's. Recently, I had an unfortunate accident with my DSLR and lost all of my gear. The insurance company are painfully slow with dealing with the claim, so I thought that a bridge camera would give me some breathing space to at least have a camera that enabled me to capture the images I see every day.

I did a lot of online research and chose the FZ200, having read many of the discussions here about the need to get to know the camera and the image settings. As I am a raw shooter, I thought that this wouldn't be much of a problem.

Woooow.

I have been shooting raw+jpg the entire time. I cannot believe the amount of noise in areas of the sky or similar uniform colours at ISO 100. I have tried Standard settings with NR 0, -1, -2. Even in the raw files the levels of noise are significant.

The SilkyPix software is painful to use, to say the least. But it does provide a tool to produce something resembling a workable image from the FZ200.I have also used the Adobe DNG converter software, but haven't had much success in producing a single image that I consider to be worthwhile, from SilkyPix or DNG Converter/ACR/PS CS4.

But really, at ISO 100, should I be seeing this level of noise from a high-end fixed lens camera in 2012? My old Canon s30 produced cleaner images in both raw and jpg than I am seeing from my new FZ200. Of course, that had a lot less pixels than this camera. I know the limitations of small sensors, or at least I thought I did.

I am feeling a little deflated and majorly disappointed. I was expecting issues with the OIS at 600mm, but not being able to get a usable image at base ISO just seems too much.

Nikon Coolpix S30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow