Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vector12
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
A few DP2 Merrill photos
Oct 21, 2012

A few comments on the DP2 Merrill, now that I've had a chance to work with it some.

1. The autofocus is better than advertised. It's snappy in good light, and so far it's been very accurate.

2. Exposure is complicated. One can apparently blow the highlights according to the histogram and still get a recoverable image. Given the advantage of exposing to the right, optimal exposure requires a bit of judgment.

3. Optimizing tiffs from SPP for work in Lightroom takes some practice, but it seems to be making more sense as I work with the files. SPP, although it produces good results as far as it goes, is an unwelcome, albeit not insurmountable, extra step.

4. In many respects, the DP2 Merrill reminds me a lot of using a film camera, both in strengths and limitations. Much is made about image quality, but the sheer operational simplicity of DP2 Merrill is a real breath of fresh air. The manual even made sense.

Overall, software issues aside, it's an easy camera to use, and it's one that feels like a film camera in overall design (despite the need to use menus and the LCD screen). I haven't found the battery issues to be too bad. The generally thoughtful design of the camera is laudable. Just as a small example, it's not difficult to change the battery or SD card with the camera attached to a mounting plate. This isn't always so for smaller cameras, and it is a good example of why the DP2 M is at least in some respects a photographer friendly camera to use. I'm still getting the hang of things, but if you know even as little as I do about what you're doing, it seems like a pretty good package.

Here are a few photos:

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow