Using D300 and need lens advise

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,613
Like?
get the problem lens serviced
In reply to marshim, Oct 21, 2012

The 70-300 VR is a nice optic. Not as nice as the 70-200 VR2, but nice. It should be fine at 300 and f/5.6 and sharpen up to very good at f/8. If it is not, then there is probably something wrong with the unit.

I would pack the D300 and the 70-300 VR and ship them off to Nikon for a clean and focus calibration. I would mention that the they should not mess with the D300 since your other lenses are spot on.

If your lenses/body are under warranty, this should only cost you shipping and insurance. Far cheaper than a 70-200 VR2 and teleconverter~! And if the lens is still unacceptably soft (for your purposes) then you can sell it without any remorse or any guilt that you pawned off a defective lens on an unsuspecting buyer.

BTW, I have the 70-300 VR and the 70-200 VR2 and the 1.4x and 2.0x TCs. My 70-300 VR sees more action in good light because it is lighter and easier to lug around and provides good results. If light is very low, or I need the extra subject isolation, I will bring out the 70-200 VR2 and pair it with the 1.4x TC for a 100-280 f/4 and shoot it wide open.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow