Country Road ...

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
GroWeb
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Country Road ...
In reply to Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D., Oct 21, 2012

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. wrote:

...  South of Holden, Missouri  ...  Nikon 20-300, F3.5-5.6 VR sample.  Just a quick shot from my car. KarlT

Throughout all these contentious threads about the appropriateness of Karl (and NeilJones) posting images in a gear-related forum, people frequently make the point that the posting of images is appropriate when it demonstrates something about the gear's capabilities or specific functionality.

I agree that it would be entirely appropriate to do such posting.

However, I am at a loss to see how most of the photos that start the threads in question -- and especially the one at the top of this thread -- are being used to demonstrate anything about the D800(E)'s capabilities or its specific functionality. There is no explicit reference in the opening post to any D800 capability or special function, nor is any noticeably implied. In this sense, I have to agree with the people who argue that Karl (and NeilJones) are using the forum inappropriately.

I know, Karl, that you have not asked for suggestions in this vein, but I would nevertheless recommend that, prior to posting your images in this forum, you consider whether and in what way the photo will contribute to a discussion of the qualities and abilities of the camera, and then begin the discussion with an explicit camera-related point that is demonstrated by the photo you are posting.

Even though following the above recommendation may not stop the unpleasantly worded criticisms of your images and your character, it will end the numerous (arguably justifiable) complaints and distracting discussion about their appropriateness in relation to this forum.

GroWeb's gear list:GroWeb's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow